Today I am sharing my second square in the Blog Hop Crochet Along! If you haven’t heard about it yet, here’s how it works: Nine other bloggers and I are teaming up to create a new afghan square pattern every day for a month. Crochet along with us and you will have a gorgeous new afghan just in time for the holiday season! Here’s how it is going to work:
- Every day (M-F) a new square pattern will be posted on one of our ten blogs.
- You can join in the fun by crocheting each day’s square on that day whenever you have time.
- Share your progress and post photos of your squares in our facebook group.
- By the end of the Crochet Along you will have twenty 12″ squares all ready to be pieced together into a beautiful afghan just in time for the holiday season.
- Finally, we will be hosting some fabulous giveaways! You could win Lion Brand yarn to make your own afghan, $100 CASH money, OR our COMPLETED AFGHAN! That’s right, we are going to be piecing all of our squares together and shipping an afghan out to one very lucky winner.
Today I am sharing the Spiked Stripes Square. The Spiked Stripes Square is a super easy striped square with a fun spike stitch row. Color changes make the spikes pop out and have an almost sewn together appearance.
You can find links to all the other patterns we have shared so far at the end of this post. The links will be updated daily!
Click the button below to add this to your Ravelry queue:
- Worsted weight yarn of your choice. Lion Brand Yarn sent us Wool Ease for the CAL. Colors shown are: Seaspray, Natural Heather, Violet, Dark Rose Heather, Gray Heather, Eggplant
- J (6.0 mm) crochet hook
- Tapestry Needle
Instructions for Square:
Note: Try weaving in the ends as you go by crocheting them into the next row. It will look nice and neat and save lots of time weaving in all of those ends from the stripes later.
*How to make a “spike” in the row: The elongated stitch, or “spike” in the row is created by working a single crochet as you normally would, but when working the stitch, insert the hook two rows down as shown in the picture. Work the stitch as usual and proceed to the next stitch.
Foundation row: In the 3rd ch from the hook, work a hdc. Work a hdc in each ch across to the end.
Row 1: Turn and ch 2 (counts as a hdc). Work a hdc into the next st and in each st across the row.
Row 2: Repeat row 1.
Row 3: Repeat row 1.
Row 4: (change colors for this row) Ch 1 and turn. Work 1 sc in each of the first 3 sts. In the next st, work a spike* (see explanation above). Repeat this sequence (3 sc, then a spike) until you reach the end of the row.
Repeat rows 1-4 until reaching the desired length, ending on row 3. I simply worked mine until the height was equal to the width, making a square shape.
Weave in any ends and you’re finished!
Click below to watch a video on how to crochet the Spiked Stripes Square stitch by stitch:
Special thanks to Lion Brand for gifting this yarn to me for the Crochet Along. You can read my full disclosure policy here.