The Book Lovers Shawl is a super thick and cozy wrap with a special pocket for your favorite book. Wear it to keep toasty and warm as you read, it’s like a little blanket for your shoulders! The shawl is constructed with four granny squares plus one extra to make the pocket. A cute heart “decal” finishes it off.
This shawl makes an ideal handmade gift if you are gifting someone a book…just tuck the book inside!
45 inches long and 10 inches wide. If a wider and longer shawl is desired, simply work more rounds of each square. You could also add to the length if needed by adding more squares.
- 5 Balls of Lion Brand Hometown Yarn (Color Shown is Phoenix Azalea)
- Scraps of Super Bulky Yarn to make heart and circle (I used Hometown Yarn in “Honolulu Pink” for the heart and “Denver Rocky Mountain” for the circle)
- N (9.0 mm) Crochet Hook
- TapestryYarn Needle for seaming and weaving in ends
Granny Square (Make 5)
Chain 4, join into a ring with a slip stitch.
Round 1: Chain 4, work (3 dc into center of ring, chain 1) 3 times, then 2 dc into center of ring. Join to close with a slip stitch.
Round 2: To work the corner of round 2, first chain 4, then 2 dc in same space, then chain 1, then 3 dc in the same space. Chain 1, then work the next corner by working 3 dc in next space, chain 1, then 3 dc in same space, chain 1, repeat two more times to complete the round.
Round 3: Work the corner in the same manner as the previous round: chain 4, 2 dc in same space, chain 1, 3 dc in same space, chain 1. To work the sides, simply work 3 dc in the next space then chain 1…repeat until you reach a corner again.
Keep working in this manner, with two clusters in the corners and one cluster on the sides until you finish the round. Just be sure there is a ch 1 in between each grouping of 3 dc as you work each round.
Repeat round three 2 more times for a total of 5 rounds.
A note about making multicolored rounds:
- To begin a new round in the same color, simply slip stitch until you reach a ch1 at the corner and begin the new round.
- To begin a new round in a new/different color, cut yarn, leaving a tail, and fasten it with a slip stitch. Join the new yarn at one of the corners as shown and tie securely. Continue to the next round.
Finishing & Assembly:
I made the pocket portion first, then attached the rest of the shawl squares. To make the pocket,
- Lay out out all of the pieces. Weave in any ends that remain.
- Lay the first square, which will be the bottom.
- Stack another square on top.
- Be sure the right sides are facing up (both squares)
- Next, place the purple circle in the center.
- Seam everything together…I began by stitching the heart onto the circle, then stitch the circle onto the top square, and finally seam the two granny squares, creating the pocket, starting in the upper left corner, working down and around the bottom, then up the side leaving the top open for the pocket.
Join the remaining three squares to the pocket. When you join the first square to the pocket, be sure to only seam the bottom square of the pocket to it, making sure the top part of the top square remains open for the pocket.
Here are two different ways to seam for this project: