Welcome back to the 2019 Fiber Flux Holiday Crochet Along…can you believe we’re in the home stretch?! Today marks part 6 of the CAL and we’ll be wrapping up the special project we’ll be making…the Merry Little Advent Calendar! This project is a lovely seasonal project and makes a wonderful keepsake. We will be going over a few things today:
- Attachment of the dowel rod hanger
- Attachment of the tree + snow
- Sewing the buttons
- Attachment of the hanging ribbon
- Addition of optional embellishments
- Where to connect with other makers
The CAL has been going on through out the month of November so that the calendar will be useable when December arrives, and today is the very last day of tutorials! This way you have a full week to complete your calendar before December arrives!
*This is a self-paced project, so definitely go at the speed you feel most comfortable. The instructional videos and posts will be up forever and you will always be able to go back and watch again and again!
Here is a quick video for the tutorial + more information:
Add this project to your Ravelry queue by clicking on the button below:
Ok, let’s put everything together, shall we? Please note, I walk through every single step of the assembly process in the video!
- Cut a length of yarn about 2 feet long (same color as your base edging) and whip stitch it together. Note: my dowel rod has about an inch or two of overhang on each side.
- Weave in ends and make sure piece is centered on the dowel rod. Tack end loops to the dowel rod with a small dot of hot glue on the back side to hold it in place.
- Hot glue tree to the calendar base. You can position at right at the horizon line on bring it down a bit into the snowy area.
- Hot glue snowy “strips” to the tree as shown in the photos. Note if it is easier for you, you can glue the snow onto the tree, then glue tree to calendar.
- Hot glue bows to square package shapes. Be sure to glue bows to tops of the squares, as to not cover up the center hole for buttoning.
- Position where you would like each shape to be then sew a small button with needle and thread to the calendar. Be sure they are nicely spaced and nothing overlaps.
- Hot glue and/or sew any embellishments you’d like to add. I glued some red pompom trim and some green ric rac along the top edge. Feel free to use up odds and ends from other projects (ribbon, bells, pompoms, etc) to add a little something extra to your calendar!
- Tie a piece of ribbon (I used the same green ric rac from the top edge) to either end of the dowel rod to serve as a hanger for your calendar.
- Allow all hot glued parts to completely cool and dry before using.
Happy holidays, friends!
Last part…let’s connect! You can connect at any of the social media platforms below, and don’t forget to use the hashtag #fiberfluxcal
Also we have two special communities for our CAL makers! Each has a welcome area/thread, so please hop on and introduce yourself. You can get info, ask questions, help each other, see what everyone is doing, and show off your work too!
Also, don’t forget to use the hashtag, #fiberfluxcal to share your work on social media!
I can’t wait to see all of your amazing calendars…please share those pictures and above enjoy, take some time to relax with your hook, and have fun! That’s all for today lovelies, see you TOMORROW for the big reveal!!
© Jennifer Dickerson 2019