Welcome to the 2017 Fiber Flux Spring Crochet Along…yippee! I am super excited…today is the first day and the day we will be learning about the project and talking about things like supplies and sizing.. We will be going over a few things to begin:
- Introduction to the project
- Schedule of the CAL
- Where to connect with other makers
For this CAL (crochet along) we will be celebrating summer with the Sail Away Blanket, an easy, breezy classic ripple afghan. The CAL will be divided over the next few weeks, concluding with a fun showcase of blankets in our maker gallery! Scroll down for the schedule with actual dates and what we’ll be doing on each day/week.
*This is a self-paced project, so definitely go at the speed you feel most comfortable. The instructional videos and posts will be up forever and you will always be able to go back and watch again and again!
Here is a quick video introduction to the CAL and more information about supplies too:
Add this project to your Ravelry queue by clicking on the button below:
First things first…the supplies!
- 6.0 mm “J” crochet hook
- 8 balls of Red Heart Super Saver Solids in colors of your choice (I’ll be using 2 balls of “Spring Green,” 2 balls of “Blue,” 2 balls of “Turqua,” and 2 balls of “White” NOTE: Each ball of the Red Heart Super Saver Solids are 364 yards. Please note the Super Saver Prints, Flecks, Stripes, and Multis have a smaller yardage per ball.
- Tapestry Needle
- Tape Measure or Ruler (optional)
My blanket will be a twin sized bed throw with dimensions of 66 inches wide and 90 inches long.
Want to make another size? Check out the chart below:
*Note: for blankets larger than the one shown, more yarn might be needed. Also, there are SO many variations of blanket sizes out there…you can use these as general guidelines or as a jumping off point, but if you have dimensions that work better for you, please feel to use those instead.
Get yarn for this project here!
Here’s our CAL schedule below for easy reference:
- Tuesday July 18 (that’s today!): Introduction to the CAL, the project, sizing options, yarn, and supplies needed.
- Wednesday July 19: Color palette ideas!
- Tuesday July 25: Pattern multiples, rows 1 and 2 of the ripple stitch, changing colors on your blanket.
- Tuesday August 1: Tips for working your blanket, going over color changes and rejoining a new yarn ball, and the finish work.
- Tuesday August 8: Surprise! Today is the big reveal of the completely finished blanket. Please submit your photos of your blankets to me to be included in our community Maker Gallery!
- Tuesday August 22: Today is Maker Gallery Day! Check it out to see all of the gorgeous blankets from the Fiber Flux community!
Last part…let’s connect! You can connect at any of the social media outlets below:
Also we have a special group for us on Ravelry, the “Fiber Flux CAL Group” There is a welcome area, so please hop on and introduce yourself. You can get info, ask questions, help each other, see what everyone is doing, and show off your work too!
I am so super excited to see all of your beautiful blankets in the next few weeks…please share those pictures and above enjoy, take some time to relax with your hook, and have fun! That’s all for today lovelies, see you next Tuesday for part two!!
© Jennifer Dickerson 2017