The Strawflower Crochet Hexagon Tote is a lively, whimsical, and fun crochet bag to stitch up! Motifs are showcased into a fun and functional bag with an easy to crochet handle and finished off with decorative buttons!
- 4 balls of dishcloth yarn, colors of your choice (I used Lily Sugar ‘n Creme by Yarnspirations in “Mod Green” “Black Currant” Hot Pink” and “Hot Green”
- I (5.5 mm) crochet hook
- 4 decorative buttons (totally optional, for decoration only)
- Tapestry Needle
- Yarn Needle
- Finished tote as shown is 13 inches tall (includes handles) and 9 inches wide
- Step 1: Make 10 hexagons using the Strawflower Hexagon Motif pattern:
Also see the full video tutorial here:
If you want to mix it up, try the Classic Granny Hexagon too!
- Step 2: Arrange hexagons as shown in the diagram below. Be sure all hexagons are facing up. If doing multicolor hexagons like the bag shown above, avoid putting two of the same colors side by side.
- Step 3: Seam together with hexagons facing up with a single crochet seam (sandwich sides together and work a single crochet through both layers of hexagons).
- Step 4: After seaming all hexagons together, fold as shown below and seam up sides with a sc stitch (sandwich sides together and work a single crochet through both layers). I did each side working from the bottom then upwards and repeating for the other side.
- Step 5: With the same color yarn as used for seaming, work the top edge of bag in sc. To do this, tie yarn into stitch next to the side seam, ch 1 and work a sc in each st around. Join with a sl st to close round. Fasten off.
- Step 6: Weave in all ends that remain on bag with a tapestry needle.
- Step 7: Make handles.
- Ch 5.
- Row 1: In the 2nd ch from the hook, work a sc. Work a sc in each ch across.
- Row 2: Ch 1 and turn. Work a sc in first st and in each st across.
- Repeat row 2 until handles are desired length and fasten off. Weave in ends. Repeat for other handle.
- Step 8: With a tapestry needle sew handles onto top of bag with a matching piece of yarn.
- Step 9 (optional): Sew buttons to bag as shown in the top photo for an added decorative element.
Click below to watch a full video tutorial on how to make the Strawflower Crochet Hexagon Tote:
Happy crocheting lovelies!